Wednesday 18 September 2013

PERHAPS 85% OF TOP PERFORMANCE IN BUSINESS COMES FROM OUR CHARACTER


At College I was taught to appreciate knowledge. I gave my best to my courses; I was made to believe that marketing plans and models can deliver great results in business. When I graduated and started my own business I learnt that it was half truth - after I have received in the jaw an entrepreneurial judo.

A former African president performed poorly because of his weak character. The General opinion was that he was too ‘nice’ to be president. The people surrounding him were sharks and he couldn’t control them. A former soldier entered into business and started UT bank and did well within a short time. He had thick skin. Knowledge alone would not suffice where there is weak human temperament.

Read this graphical excerpt from Laurie J. Mullin’s Management and organizational behavior;
An elaboration of some of Gardener’s ideas was made by Goleman who agreed that the classic view of intelligence was too narrow. He felt that the emotional qualities of individuals should be considered. These, he felt, played a vital role in the application of intelligence in everyday life. He identified the key characteristics as; abilities such as being able to motivate oneself and persist in the face of frustrations; to control impulse and delay gratification; to regulate one’s moods and keep distress from swamping the ability to think; to emphasis and to hope.
Goleman suggests that emotional intelligence or EI predicts top performance and accounts for 85 percent of outstanding performance in top leaders.

It has been said that the greatest resources of a business are its employees. Why? Because plans don’t work by themselves, it is people who have to work them. Employees with strong character can turn a business around dramatically.

The character code for and against business

These are attitudes would lift your business and make you standout
Self confidence, faith, commitment, dedication, perseverance, appetite for learning, respect, goodwill, ambitious, adventurer, efficient, adaptability,

These negative attitudes may sink your business and make you doubt your abilities; failure mentality, pessimism, shyness for fear, fear of risk, laziness, lack of self control, unmotivated, unbelief

In my mind’s eye I see a successful business man or woman as one who is constantly hit with battering rums of taxes, critics, threats, failure, and lack of support and still stand firm to win. If somebody tells me he wants to start his own business, I would ask one innocent question ‘do you have the tenacity for it?’ If you have all the knowledge but weak character you’d amount to nothing; but, with a little knowledge and plenty of inward power you’d achieve something for yourself. This is why I think college dropouts have sometimes achieved more than professors.

Metaphorically, I think successful businessmen and women are in a way like one of the characters in A Taste for Death by P. D. James;
‘When I was a young man at college’ Delicata said reminiscently. ‘I was dubbed King Kong. I didn’t like that all. It upset me very much. You’ll hardly believe this, Collier, but I became almost suicidal over my freakishness.
And then do you know what I discovered? I discovered that I was rather clever, quite remarkably strong, and to a large degree invulnerable. My threshold of pain is perhaps uniquely high. Nothing hurts. 
And then it dawned on me. My freakishness lay not only in my shape. It went deeper. Apart from scarcely feeling pain, I could sustain blows which would have maimed or killed another man.
I also realized that I had a certain mental invulnerability as well. Neither drink nor drugs nor women had an addictive effect on me.
So I changed quite radically’.

Business Areas That Our Attitude Has Impact

Planning; laziness would not let some people do better plans. Even after planning most people don’t follow through with them. Self discipline is what makes you kick yourself out of bed when every cell in your body cries for more sleep.

Finance; one of the toughest challenge is having high bills to pay and running a small business. Rent and your family’s upkeep can eat up every income you make so that you have money to put back in the business. A strong character is needed if one is to save and live within ones budget.

Customers; I believe genuine customer service comes from a good heart. People with bad character may talk to somebody on the phone claiming to offer customers care but at the time talking harshly to the customer. While there are good leaders there are terrible ones too. Would 80% of your employees say you are a good leader or vice versa?

Business; few people have the character to start over after they have failed in business. It takes a person with perseverance to wait till success comes when nothing is happening.

Work; People achieve much when they are dedicated to their work completely. Dedication is giving your best to what you do.

Selling; some people find it hard to track people who are not their friends and do business with them. The salesman job is so annoying to them they wished it never existed. They are shy and fear. A manager with this problem would see an opportunity to talk to some people about his product, but because of fear may show indifference.

In summary, every business needs a human element to make it work. Where a person lacks the right attitude the business may suffer despite all the investments.
What character are we bringing to the business field? Some managers with great abilities have been run down because of corruption; some employees with great skills are sacked because they are not dedicated. Others too have all the money and resources to start their own businesses but because of weakness of character are nowhere near those objectives. Except your character supports your knowledge and skills they would amount to nothing.

No comments: